Friday, November 6, 2015

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME

Why we need to be moving time, back an hour in the fall and up an hour in the spring, escapes me. While I understand the concept of children traveling to school in the daylight – living in New York City – it is less of an issue.

As a result of this time shifting parameter, I am having trouble keeping my eyes open by 9:30 pm and waking by 6:30 am.

Getting up so early is a throwback to when my younger daughter was a baby. She was an early riser. While this is common for most babies, my older daughter didn’t go to bed for the night until sometime between midnight and 2 am and then slept until 10 am. I was used to this schedule. Even as a toddler, she slept until 9 am, unless we had to get up and out in the morning.

So when my younger daughter joined the family and was up at 6:30 am, it was a big adjustment for me. But I loved that we both would be able to spend a few hours together before her sister got up for the day. My mom said, this was the same for her with me and my older sister. She was a late sleeper. Then I came along and was up at 6. Mom adjusted, too.

So here I am, waking at 6:25 am as if there was a baby in the house. Only there is not. There is just me (and Rocco, the dog). Even he gave me a funny look this morning. And, as most dogs do, went right back to sleep.

Me, I’m up for the day with my memories of getting up early in the past. Of no matter how exhausted I was, this is what I had dreamed of. Of remembering the days I was unsure this would happen. Of the day we were chosen by a birth mother. Of waiting for the birth of my girls. Of worrying, wishing and hoping. Of meeting my daughters for the first time. Of waiting for the Interstate Compact to approve us going back to New York. Of counting the days until we could finalize the adoption

I am thinking about those early days of watching them develop each new skill, amazed as they outgrew infant size onesies and needed larger diapers. I can see them learning to sit, crawl, walk, run, jump and skip. I remember them cooing, speaking words, sentences and telling stories. I watched them play alone, with peers and start school. I watched their personalities develop and their intellect expand. I encouraged them to try new things and supported their choices.

Being up so early has a benefit after all. Brings back so many memories.  By birth or adoption - I was, and still am a proud mom.

Kathy Ann Brodsky, LCSW is a New York and New Jersey licensed social worker, adoptive mom and advocate for ethical adoption practice. She has prepared thousands of adoption homestudies, counseled adoptive parents and parents-to-be, and has trained professionals to work with adoptive families. She was Director of the Ametz Adoption Program from March 1992 to March 2015. She is Head Writer for Adoption.net, member of the Adoption Advisory Board of Path2Parenthood and has a private practice in New York City. She was a member of the Advisory Board for POV’s Adoption Series and named an “Angel in Adoption” by the Congressional Coalition on Adoption in 2001. Follow or reach her at ADOPTION MAVEN BLOG or EMAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment