Thursday, August 6, 2015

FAVORITE PLACES

Everyone has a favorite place that holds memories, provides promise or brings solace.

I love mornings in the country. We have a house on a lake in a family centered community. When my kids were young, everyone came down to the lakeside and spent the day. Kids would build sand castles when not in the lake swimming or wading. There was a snack bar with ice cream, hotdogs, burgers and chips. Parents would sit in circles and talk about the day’s events and week’s plans. The older adults would sit in a chatting circle in the shade of the trees.

With sport teams, other structured activities and the Internet, less and less families come to the lake now. There are bonfires and movie nights, with the racket ball court wall doubling as the screen. Some families use the area for private parties. With the younger kid’s playground and swings and slide for older kids, and lots of room to run and play ball, it is a perfect location. I’ve even used the area for an adoptive family get-together.

With everyone off doing their own thing, I love early mornings down by the lake. It’s a private oasis. Birds chirp and, if I am lucky, the doe wanders by with her babies. There is always a gentle breeze, even on the hottest of days. In the fall, the crisp air and golden leaves makes it a wonderland.

I do a lot of writing down by the lake.  I recall the days watching my kids learning to swim and taking the raft test, when they were older to permit them to swim outside of the roped area. There was a July 4th potluck supper and Labor Day games with prizes for everyone. My family held annual reunions here for many years which included my daughters and other cousins who were adopted. So when I am down by the lake, I have a lot to think about and to celebrate.

On weekend mornings and during vacations you can find me and the dog enjoying the alone time. We play fetch, explore the foliage and enjoy one another’s company. After the hustle and bustle of weekday life in New York City, I love the quieter and peaceful atmosphere where I can think about loved ones I’ve lost and those I am thankful are in my life, and plan for the week ahead.

Where is your favorite place?? What memories and emotions does it evoke? Who is there with you or are you alone? Would you make any changes?

Kathy Ann Brodsky, LCSW is a New York and New Jersey licensed social worker, adoptive mom and advocate for ethical adoption practice. She has prepared thousands of adoption homestudies, counseled adoptive parents and parents-to-be, and has trained professionals to work with adoptive families. She was Director of the Ametz Adoption Program from March 1992 to March 2015. She is Head Writer for Adoption.net, member of the Adoption Advisory Board of Path2Parenthood and has a private practice in New York City. She was a member of the Advisory Board for POV’s Adoption Series and named an “Angel in Adoption” by the Congressional Coalition on Adoption in 2001. Follow or reach her at ADOPTION MAVEN BLOG or EMAIL.



No comments:

Post a Comment